9am-3:30pm Monday thru Friday
Impound releases are done from 9am – 3:30pm, Monday thru Friday. Impound releases are not given on weekends and holidays.
All impound release forms must be obtained at the Long Beach Police Department, 1 W Chester Street, Long Beach, NY 11561.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE PRESENTED TO THE POLICE DEPARTMENT IN ORDER TO GET A VEHICLE RELEASED FROM IMPOUND. NO RELEASE WILL BE GIVEN OTHERWISE:
- THE VEHICLE REGISTRANT OR TITLE OWNER MUST BE PRESENT (If he/she is unable to pick up the vehicle, it can be
released to a third party with a notarized letter from the owner giving permission to the LBPD to release the car to the third party).
- THE VEHICLE’S VALID REGISTRATION* OR PROOF OF VEHICLE OWNERSHIP (such as a title, bill of sale, etc). **
- A VALID DRIVER’S LICENSE*** AND/OR VALID I.D.
- A “COURT CLEARANCE LETTER” (issued by the Long Beach City Court.)
*If you do not have a physical copy of the registration readily accessible, the registration will be verified by an officer through the New York Statewide Police Information Network (NYSPIN).
**Vehicles presenting proof of ownership without a valid registration will be given a “TOW ONLY” release.
***This is necessary if you wish to drive the vehicle from impound. A valid license is not required to obtain a “TOW ONLY” release.
IMPOUND RELEASE STEPS:
- First go to the Long Beach City Court located on the 2nd floor of City Hall and obtain a “COURT CLEARANCE LETTER” stating that there are no outstanding fines or summonses owed on your vehicle. If there are outstanding fines owed then the fines will have to be paid before the impound release will be authorized.
- Then, bring the “COURT CLEARANCE LETTER” and all other documents indicated above to the Long Beach Police Department’s Traffic Division for review.
- These documents will be checked by an officer at the Long Beach Police Department Headquarters and, if in order, approval for an impound release will be authorized.
- At the Long Beach Police Headquarters you will be required to pay an administrative processing fee of $120.00 (EXACT CHANGE ONLY OR BY CREDIT CARD WHICH WILL COST $123.95), and a release form will be issued.
- You will be directed to the facility where your vehicle is being kept and you will be responsible for any and all charges incurred at this facility.